Winter: Ski Touring and Snowshoeing
Excellent Terrain for All Levels of Nordic Skiers
In 1971, the White River National Forest issued a unique special permit and Ashcroft became the first self-sustaining cross-country ski area in the United States. Located 12 miles above Aspen in the upper reaches of spectacular Castle Creek Valley, the ski area offers excellent terrain for all levels of Nordic skiers. Thirty-five kilometers of meticulously groomed trails wind across 600 acres in the sub-alpine valley surrounding the Ghost Town of Ashcroft, a turn-of-the-century mining town designated on the National Register of Historical Places. At an elevation of 9,500 feet Ashcroft Ski Touring offers fantastic snow conditions and unparalleled scenery.
Ashcroft Ski Touring operates out of the Ashcroft Adventure Lodge at the end of Castle Creek Road. At the Adventure Lodge, you may rent classic cross-country ski equipment, skate ski gear, or snowshoes. Individual and group lessons, as well as snowshoe and ski tours are available everyday. The winter season runs Thanksgiving day until early April.
(Download the Trail Map — 2.0 MB)
Winter: Rates and Programs
Trail Passes for Skiers and Snowshoers
- Full Day Pass $25
- Half Day Pass (After 12:30 p.m.) $15
- Seniors Over 67, Children Under 12 $15
- Five Day Punch Pass $75.00
- Season Pass $350.00 (Preseason $250.00)
- Unlimited Family Pass $450.00
All packages include boots, poles and either skis or snowshoes.
- Nordic Ski Rental Package $25
- Snowshoe Rental Package $25
- Childs Pull Sleigh (pulke) $30
Tours Guided 3-Hour Ski or Snowshoe Tour
Tour includes equipment rental, trail pass, guide and lunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse. 2 person minimum for all skill levels.
- With Hiker’s Lunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse $100.00 per person, plus 18% gratuity
- With a la carte Lunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse $85.00 per person, plus 18% gratuity. Lunch charged separately.
- 1 1/2-Hour Ski Lesson $125.00 per person, 2 person minimum
- Trail Passes and Equipment Rentals included
- Private 1 1/2-Hour Ski Lesson $175.00, Each Additional Person $45.00
- Trail pass included
- Private Full Day $325.00, Each Additional Person $50.00
- Trail passes and equipment are rentals are included
- Aspen Round Trip Shuttle, $40.00 per person, 2 person minimum
- Meet at Wheeler Opera House (Map) 10:00 a.m. each morning, corner of Mill Street and Hyman Avenue; Departs Ashcroft Adventure Lodge for return to Aspen at 3:00 p.m. each afternoon. No reservations necessary.
Ashcroft Ski Touring
Fantastic Snow Conditions
Aspen Weather Today
Hours of Operation
The Pine Creek Cookhouse is currently CLOSED for off season. We will reopen on December 8th with our Winter Hours of Operation.