WINTER ASHCROFT ADVENTURES
Winter Ashcroft Adventures
Ski Touring and Snowshoeing
In 1971, the White River National Forest issued a unique special permit and Ashcroft became the first self-sustaining cross-country ski area in the United States. Located 12 miles above Aspen in the upper reaches of spectacular Castle Creek Valley, the ski area offers excellent terrain for all levels of Nordic skiers. Thirty-five kilometers of meticulously groomed trails wind across 600 acres in the sub-alpine valley surrounding the Ghost Town of Ashcroft, a turn-of-the-century mining town designated on the National Register of Historical Places. At an elevation of 9,500 feet Ashcroft Ski Touring offers fantastic snow conditions and unparalleled scenery.
Ashcroft Ski Touring operates out of the Ashcroft Adventure Lodge at the end of Castle Creek Road. At the Adventure Lodge, you may rent classic cross-country ski equipment, skate ski gear, or snowshoes. Individual and group lessons, as well as snowshoe and ski tours are available everyday. The winter season runs Thanksgiving day until early April.
Excellent Terrain for All Levels of Nordic Skiers
SKI TOURING & SNOWSHOEING
Winter: Rates and Programs
Download the Ashcroft Trail Map
Trail Passes: Skiers & Snowshoers
- Full Day Pass : $25
- Half Day Pass (After 12:30 p.m.) : $15
- Seniors Over 70 : $15
- Children 12 and Under : $15
- Five-Day Punch Pass : $100.00
- Season Pass : $300.00 (Preseason $250.00)
- Corporate Pass (Up to 8 people) : $675.00
- Unlimited Family Pass : $450.00
All packages include boots, poles and either skis or snowshoes.
- Nordic Ski Rental Package : $25
- Snowshoe Rental Package : $25
- Childs Pull Sleigh (pulke) : $35
4-Hour Guided Ski Tour or Snowshoe Tour
Guided 4-hour experience through our 35km of trails, catered to your experience. Includes experienced guide, trail pass, ski or snowshoe rental, and ends at Pine Creek Cookhouse for an A-La-Carte lunch. Learn about the local history, wildlife, and improve your cross-country skills.
- $300 for the first person, $125 additional people.
- 2 person minimum.
Private Ski Lessons
Want to try cross-country skiing for the first time, or just improve your skills? Book a private lesson with one of our instructors to get the most out of your experience. Lessons include rental and trail pass.
- Private 90-Minute Ski Lesson : $250, Each Additional Person : $125 – (Trail passes and equipment rentals included)
- Private 4-Hour Ski Lesson : $400, Each Additional Person : $200 — (Trail passes and equipment rentals are included)
- Aspen Round Trip Shuttle, $65.00 per person; 2 person minimum
- Meets at Wheeler Opera House (Map) 10:00 a.m. each morning, corner of Mill Street and Hyman Avenue; Departs Ashcroft Adventure Lodge for return to Aspen at 3:00 p.m. each afternoon.
- Shuttle Reservations REQUIRED, call (970) 925-1971 to Book
Four-Hour A.C.E.S. Guided Snowshoe Tour
Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (A.C.E.S.)
A.C.E.S. tour (www.AspenNature.org) includes equipment rental, trail pass, guide and lunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse. 2 person minimum for all skill levels.
- With A-La-Cart Lunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse $100.00 per person (plus 18% gratuity). Lunch charged separately.
- With Banquet Lunch at the Pine Creek Cookhouse $170.00 per person (plus 18% gratuity)
35 Kilometers of Trails
Pine Creek Cookhouse and the Ashcroft Valley
Aspen’s legendary restaurant, the Pine Creek Cookhouse, is nestled at the base of the Elk Mountains. Alpine gourmet food featuring wild game and fresh fish is brought to life with organic, locally-sourced ingredients. From field to stream our chefs prepare cuisine made from scratch every day. Join us for lunch or dinner.